Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Very AGOT Christmas Part II

And so here continues the tale...Of what, I'm not really sure. But I do feel that I should continue writing (well, hopefully) every year adding a piece here and a piece there.

I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. Keep safe and bugger yer lord o' light! =]

=======================

Ser Barristan Selmy stood with massive arms folded across his chest. "It will be a dangerous undertaking, my lady," he muttered. He stared at Daenerys Targaryen's face that was seemingly lost in thought. "Our Dothraki Scouts have reported that the Stags, the Wolves and the Lions have joined forces. They are massing at Moat Cailin."

"I'm tired," she whispered softly, "tired so my bones ache and my muscles are like stone to me." Daenerys' head hung low and she rested her brow on one of the tent's makeshift windows. All was quiet out in the night with her tent set a little away from The Great Khalasar's encampment. "I'm sick and tired of the blood-soaked banners, and the noble speeches, and the Horn of Dragons shaking the air in grand defiance. Our path is up to its neck in shit and blood, and a thousand corpses float in the black waste. Each day we become harder and dirtier and meaner. More than once I had to stop our men from the khalasar from torturing some damned prisoner before cutting his head off. And I had Viserion devour one of them for he raped one of the women from Casterly Rock one bright day after a battle. The Arakhs are all red with blood and notched from war, and we die by the thousands no matter how brave we are.

"The horror is always there. The evil that stalks us at night, with dreams and visions, with plagues and pestilence.

"I fear, oh, I fear, not death, not the enemy, but us. I fear that we become like them and if it does not end soon, neither Dothraki nor Westerosi will be naught but the same beast in the same clothing, and all bright heroes a memory scorned."

She turned to face him, her teeth clenched so tight that the muscles of her jaw danced and her eyes hard and dry, for Daenerys, the last of her line, the True Queen and Stormborn, had no tears to give. Selmy stepped back at the sight of it.

"I will do what must be done, ser, because I must, because if I don't, there is noone else who will. For my unborn son, for my beloved Drogo, the stallion that mounts the world, and for my brother whom they call the Beggar King. I who have done nothing unto the Stags and the Lions and they send assassins to hunt and kill me." She bared her teeth as if in challenge to some unseen enemy. "But before I lead my people into battle, I want you to hear the oath of Daenerys Targaryen!

"Should I die or should I live, should I fall or should I fail, with all my power, all my strength, all my heart and all my desire I curse them, they who murder and rape, the destroyers and the power mad. I curse the seller of souls, those wretched Asshai, and the annihilators of dreams. I curse those who have been and who will be the followers of the black path. And I pledge by all that I am and might be and should be that I will hound them, hound them from here to eternity." She did not shout the words, she said them quietly, but with such authority that it chilled Selmy to the core.

Outside, the three dragons, Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal, roared in unison as if in agreement...

1 comment: